Riding the ancient migration trails between the Darhad Valley and the wild shore of northern Lake Hovsgol.
HOVSGOL     15 DAYS IN MONGOLIA     8 DAYS RIDING     From $3750*     JUNE-SEPTEMBER
We begin this ride at Renchinlumbe in the heart of Darhad Valley. From ‘Lumbe’ we ride North across the plains, visiting Darhad summer camps, before turning east into the mountains following an ancient migration trail. The trail crosses a high pass and emerges at the Northern tip of Lake Hovsgol on the most untouched part of the lake shore. We follow the lake shore south before crossing another pass and returning to Renchinlumbe. Again this route tells the story of the Darhad Nomads by following their northern migration routes, and enjoys some particularly wild and remote scenery.
Join our next group ride from 17th June to 1st July 2020
This is a join in trip for 4 to 8 participants, see details below or get in touch to learn more. We can also run this ride as a private group trip during the June to September season.
- Travel through some of the best scenery of northern Mongolia
- Ride hardy Mongolian horses in the company of local horsemen
- Visit nomadic herders at their gers to experience the Darhad way of life
- Enjoy wild camping with camp fire evenings and starry nights
- Day 1Arrive Ulaanbaatar. Overnight at Hotel.
- Day 2Fly on a domestic flight fromm Ulaanbaatar to Muron in Hovsgol Aimag, and then begin the drive to the Darhad Valley. Camping overnight.
- Day 3Arrive at Renchinlumbe, meet our horse team and if time allows take your horse for a test drive this afternoon.
- Day 4-7Riding into the northern Saridag Mountains, crossing Jarayn Pass, before descending to the shore of Lake Hovsgol.
- Day 8-11Follow the lake shore southwards before crossing another pass, eventually reaching the village of Renchinlumbe in the Darhad Valley, where we meet the jeeps for the drive out.
- Day 12Drive to Muron. Overnight at a ger camp on the outskirts of town.
- Day 13 Return flights to Ulaanbataar.
- Day 14 Sightseeing in Ulaanbaatar. This is a buffer day in case of flight delays or schedule changes returning from Hovsgol.
- Day 15 Onward travel.
Join our next group ride from 17th June to 1st July 2020. We can also run this ride as a private group trip during the June to September season.
15 day itinerary: USD $3750 per person*
- based on join-in departure with group size 4-8 participants, please enquire for private trip pricing.
plus Ulaanbaatar Hotels from $95 per room per night
- generally one night before and two nights after the ride required as per the itinerary.
What is included +
- All in-country ground transportation,
- Round trip domestic airfare Ulaanbaatar > Muron rtn
- Special protected area permits,
- All camping equipment and trip support ,
- Accommodation as per itinerary,
- All meals outside of Ulaanbaatar
What is not included +
- International airfare;
- Personal laundry;
- Alcoholic beverages;
- Travel insurance; medical evacuation costs;
- Excess baggage charges;
- Visa fees;
- Photography and video fees (e.g. at museums);
- Any other item not mentioned as included
We’ll add the hotel nights that you need to your invoice on a single or shared room basis as required. You are welcome to arrive earlier or depart later than the start/end dates in the itinerary, or change/upgrade Ulaanbaatar hotels
We also offer a self catering option for private group departures from $3250 per person based on a group of 4-6 participants. Please ask for more details.
Please note that this is a remote wilderness expedition: while we intend to follow this itinerary as outlined, conditions and circumstances may require some flexibility and changes at the discretion of the trip leader.
Trip Style +
We’ll need to travel relatively fast and light, but take what camp comforts we can. The wranglers will have a string of packhorses to carry all the gear. We’ll sleep in mountain tents, couples can share and individuals will get their own tent. There will be a large tipi tent as a group shelter, this is heated with a stove for fall trips when the nights start getting cold. Food will be a combination of hearty western meals, like dutch oven cooked shepherd’s pie, and local dishes such as steamed dumplings.
Saddles we use on these rides are locally made saddles based on the historical cossack saddle. The saddle tree comprises two wooden boards connected with iron bars at cantle and pommel. This is then strung with raw hide over which is placed a leather cushion stuffed with wool. Over our years of riding in Mongolia we’ve found our own made-to-order saddles to be comfortable for both rider and horse, and suitable for the riding and terrain we cover.
Download more info.
Our Hovgsol horse riding PDF contains more information on our rides in this region, download it here.
Let’s start the conversation
Please get in touch to request more details and start planning a trip.