Taiga Reindeer Trail
Visit the Dukha reindeer herders and explore Mongolia’s wild taiga.
HOVSGOL     14 DAYS IN MONGOLIA     6 DAYS RIDING     From $3500*     JUNE-SEPTEMBER
Ride to the reindeer herders and explore the wild Taiga. The ride begins at a trailhead on the edge of the Taiga, reached by a long drive over two days across the steppes and through the Darhad Valley. Local herders then escort us up into the Taiga to the Dukha reindeer herder’s tipi camps. After visiting with the Dukha we continue deeper into the Taiga, over a mountain pass and onto Joshim Nuur, a remote alpine lake. The return route follows the Tengis river as it flows out of the Taiga.
Join our next group ride from 16th to 29th September 2020
This is a join in trip for 4 to 8 participants, see details below or get in touch to learn more. We can also run this ride as a private group trip during the June to September season.
- Visit the Dukha reindeer herders in Mongolia’s taiga
- Travel deep into Mongolia’s wildest landscapes on the border of Siberia
- Ride hardy Mongolian horses in the company of local horsemen
- Enjoy wild camping with camp fire evenings and starry nights
- Day 1Arrive Ulaanbaatar. Overnight at Hotel.
- Day 2Fly on a domestic flight form Ulaanbaatar to Muron in Hovsgol Aimag, and then begin the drive to the Darhad Valley. Camping overnight.
- Day 3Continue drive arriving at Tsagaan Nuur village on the edge of the taiga. Check in with the border guards and continue to the trail head to meet our horse team. Camping in tents.
- Day 4Riding towards the East Taiga reindeer herder camp. Depending on the seasonal location of the reindeer hereders we may arrive at their camp today, or next morning after camping en route.
- Day 5At the Tsataan Camp to learn about the Dukha life in the taiga.
- Day 6-8Riding deeper into the Taiga to the wild Tengis River valley and to a scenic alpine lake.
- Day 9Ride out to the confluence of the Shiskhiid and Tengis rivers where we'll meet the jeeps for the return drive to Muron.
- Day 10Drive through the Darhad Valley: we'll take the scenic route, visit a Darhad herder family, and then camp near the village of Ulaan Ul.
- Day 11Drive to Muron. Overnight at a ger camp on the outskirts of town.
- Day 12 Return flights to Ulaanbataar.
- Day 13 Sightseeing in Ulaanbaatar. This is a buffer day in case of flight delays or schedule changes returning from Hovsgol.
- Day 14 Onward travel.
Join our next group ride from 16th to 29th September 2020. We can also run this ride as a private group trip during the June to September season.
14 day itinerary: USD $3500 per person*
- based on join-in departure with group size 4-8 participants, please enquire for private trip pricing.
plus Ulaanbaatar Hotels from $95 per room per night
- generally one night before and two nights after the ride required as per the itinerary.
What is included +
- All in-country ground transportation,
- Round trip domestic airfare Ulaanbaatar > Muron rtn
- Special protected area permits,
- All camping equipment and trip support ,
- Accommodation as per itinerary,
- All meals outside of Ulaanbaatar
What is not included +
- International airfare;
- Personal laundry;
- Alcoholic beverages;
- Travel insurance; medical evacuation costs;
- Excess baggage charges;
- Visa fees;
- Photography and video fees (e.g. at museums);
- Any other item not mentioned as included
We’ll add the hotel nights that you need to your invoice on a single or shared room basis as required. You are welcome to arrive earlier or depart later than the start/end dates in the itinerary, or change/upgrade Ulaanbaatar hotels
We also offer a self catering option for private group departures from $2550 per person based on a group of 4-6 participants. Please ask for more details.
Please note that this is a remote wilderness expedition: while we intend to follow this itinerary as outlined, conditions and circumstances may require some flexibility and changes at the discretion of the trip leader.
Trip Style +
We’ll need to travel relatively fast and light, but take what camp comforts we can. The wranglers will have a string of packhorses to carry all the gear. We’ll sleep in mountain tents, couples can share and individuals will get their own tent. There will be a large tipi tent as a group shelter, this is heated with a stove for fall trips when the nights start getting cold. Food will be a combination of hearty western meals, like dutch oven cooked shepherd’s pie, and local dishes such as steamed dumplings.
Saddles we use on these rides are locally made saddles based on the historical cossack saddle. The saddle tree comprises two wooden boards connected with iron bars at cantle and pommel. This is then strung with raw hide over which is placed a leather cushion stuffed with wool. Over our years of riding in Mongolia we’ve found our own made-to-order saddles to be comfortable for both rider and horse, and suitable for the riding and terrain we cover.
Download more info.
Our Hovgsol horse riding PDF contains more information on our rides in this region, download it here.
Let’s start the conversation
Please get in touch to request more details and start planning a trip.