An epic ride in the Sayan Mountains from the reindeer herders to the wild shore of northern Lake Hovsgol.
HOVSGOL     18 DAYS IN MONGOLIA     11 DAYS RIDING     From $4250*     JUNE-SEPTEMBER
This ride combines meeting the reindeer herders with an adventurous ride through seldom travelled trails through the Sayan Mountains of Northern Mongolia. Beginning by riding up the Tengis River and over the mountain to visit the Reindeer herders, the ride then continues to skirt the edge of the Darhad Valley and the Taiga. We cross the most northerly of the Darhad Nomad’s migration trails, Utreg Pass, to reach the northern tip of Lake Hovsgol, with views of the region’s highest peak Monkh Saridag. Finally we head south along the most untouched section of the lake shore and cross another pass to reach Renchinlumbe and our rendezvous with the jeeps.
Uriankhai is the name given by the Mongols to describe all the forest dwelling tribes of Northern Mongolia and Southern Siberia including the Dukha reindeer herders who were historically known as the Soyot Uirankhai. In fact, in the early 19th century the whole of the Darkhad valley was part of Tuva, then known as Tannu Uriankhai. We’ve named this route the Uriankhai trail because meet both Dukha reindeer herder and Darhad nomads as we ride their ancient trails though the taiga.
Join our next group ride from August 31st to September 17th 2020
This is a join in trip for 4 to 8 participants, see details below or get in touch to learn more. We can also run this ride as a private group trip during the June to September season.
- Visit the Dukha reindeer herders in Mongolia’s taiga
- Travel deep into Mongolia’s wildest landscapes on the border of Siberia
- Ride hardy Mongolian horses in the company of local horsemen
- Enjoy wild camping with camp fire evenings and starry nights
- Day 1Arrive Ulaanbaatar. Overnight at Hotel.
- Day 2Fly on a domestic flight form Ulaanbaatar to Muron in Hovsgol Aimag, and then begin the drive to the Darhad Valley. Camping overnight.
- Day 3Continue drive arriving at Tsagaan Nuur village on the edge of the taiga. Check in with the border guards and continue to the trail head to meet our horse team. Camping in tents.
- Day 4-6Riding to the Reindeer herders, following then Tengis River into the Taiga and then over a high pass to arrive at the Dukha camp.
- Day 7-10Riding trails through the taiga, over Utreg Pass and on to the wildshore of Lake Hovsgol
- Day 11-14Follow the lake shore southwards before crossing another pass, eventually reaching the village of Renchinlumbe in the Darhad Valley, where we meet the jeeps for the drive out.
- Day 15Drive to Muron. Overnight at a ger camp on the outskirts of town.
- Day 16 Return flights to Ulaanbataar.
- Day 17 Sightseeing in Ulaanbaatar. This is a buffer day in case of flight delays or schedule changes returning from Hovsgol.
- Day 18 Onward travel.
Join our next group ride from August 31st to September 17th 2020. We can also run this ride as a private group trip during the June to September season.
18 day itinerary: USD $4250 per person*
- based on join-in departure with group size 4-8 participants, please enquire for private trip pricing.
plus Ulaanbaatar Hotels from $95 per room per night
- generally one night before and two nights after the ride required as per the itinerary.
What is included +
- All in-country ground transportation,
- Round trip domestic airfare Ulaanbaatar > Muron rtn
- Special protected area permits,
- All camping equipment and trip support ,
- Accommodation as per itinerary,
- All meals outside of Ulaanbaatar
What is not included +
- International airfare;
- Personal laundry;
- Alcoholic beverages;
- Travel insurance; medical evacuation costs;
- Excess baggage charges;
- Visa fees;
- Photography and video fees (e.g. at museums);
- Any other item not mentioned as included
We’ll add the hotel nights that you need to your invoice on a single or shared room basis as required. You are welcome to arrive earlier or depart later than the start/end dates in the itinerary, or change/upgrade Ulaanbaatar hotels
We also offer a self catering option for private group departures from $3250 per person based on a group of 4-6 participants. Please ask for more details.
Please note that this is a remote wilderness expedition: while we intend to follow this itinerary as outlined, conditions and circumstances may require some flexibility and changes at the discretion of the trip leader.
Trip Style +
We’ll need to travel relatively fast and light, but take what camp comforts we can. The wranglers will have a string of packhorses to carry all the gear. We’ll sleep in mountain tents, couples can share and individuals will get their own tent. There will be a large tipi tent as a group shelter, this is heated with a stove for fall trips when the nights start getting cold. Food will be a combination of hearty western meals, like dutch oven cooked shepherd’s pie, and local dishes such as steamed dumplings.
Saddles we use on these rides are locally made saddles based on the historical cossack saddle. The saddle tree comprises two wooden boards connected with iron bars at cantle and pommel. This is then strung with raw hide over which is placed a leather cushion stuffed with wool. Over our years of riding in Mongolia we’ve found our own made-to-order saddles to be comfortable for both rider and horse, and suitable for the riding and terrain we cover.
Download more info.
Our Hovgsol horse riding PDF contains more information on our rides in this region, download it here.
Let’s start the conversation
Please get in touch to request more details and start planning a trip.